Route map


Sorry the map is not updating but if you want to see our progress and atcual route go toBike tour map and click next

7/17/11

Surly Long Haul Trucker

Anything you are going to use a lot and are going to rely on needs to be thoroughly researched.  I spent the last 2 months looking at guides, review articles, talking to experienced people, and coming up with my own conclusions.  Some of the best websites I found and reviews that helped me choose the LHT are: palmbeachbiketours, crazyguyonabike, adventurecycling
There were many other sites but these also have a lot of other great information if you are looking to go on a long bike tour.
I talked to a lot of local cyclist, but there are 2 people I want to note.
A co-worker of my fathers, Gary,  who has done several tours and has a lot of experience with all sorts of bikes.  He told me he had heard nothing but good things from friends that have the bike, and many of them had done very long rides and one had recently gone cross country. I think Gary convinced my dad this was a good bike and the tour was a good idea. For this, Gary, I thank you.
I also talked to a friend from Wi, Terry.  He has a trek 520 so is partial to it, which I also considered(slightly higher price not much upgrade). even thought he is partial to the trek he also saw no problem with the bike.  He gave me many other pointers and sites to check out.  I hope to get to ride portions with both of them.
So I know it is just 2 people and the internet but I thought it seemed right.  The next step was a test ride.  I did not get to ride it with weight but anyhow it felt like I was riding a Cadillac in comparison to my 71' Schwinn LeTour.  It was really sturdy and comfortable but still quick.  I am very excited, now that I own it, to load it up and go ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment