Route map


Sorry the map is not updating but if you want to see our progress and atcual route go toBike tour map and click next

7/21/11

DIY Front Panniers

So, since I am a wimp and I don't want to died in this 100 °F, that's 38 °C for you metric system folks,  weather, I have been inside working on these panniers instead of riding.  I am only doing about 10 mi a day right now which is disappointing, but considering....

These were a little more difficult then the rears since I couldn't get away with just drooping them over the wheel for support.  Instead they needed to hook on individually.  I started with just one figuring I can work out bugs then make the second one better.  This was definitely a good idea.   Not to say I am not happy with it I just think it could be better.
I took some 3/4" 12 Gauge steel and made hooks.  They are long so that they can act as a frame for the bags.











I really wish I was home where a vice would have made this much easier.

Next holes were drilled and fit was check on the bike.  The bag was the cut and sewn up just like the rear ones were done.  Webbing was cut to fit.  Sorry I don't have more pics mid build I kinda spaced.  Its the heat, I swear. 
After a nap and a cold shower, I assembled it.   I wanted to protect the bike and the racks so I took an old bike tube and cut it so I could still put in and tighten the bolts.    

a bungy connects to the bottom cross member and is used  to secure the whole thing to the rack.


















Here are some more pics of it completed.  As you will see I haven't done the finish work.




A few things I want to do for the other side to make it better:
- Add extensions to the top of the support bar so the bag can be taller
- Possibly connect the webbing even higher  than the top of the bag, to provide more support.
- Give the top a drawstring closure.  2 reasons for this -pull everything in - better rain protection
- It would also be nice to add a handle on the top.

Well that is all for now.   I may work on the second front pannier tonight but we shall see.  I also am completely redesigning the rear bags after seeing how this one worked.  I will not be adding a frame (yet), but they will be two separate bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment