Route map


Sorry the map is not updating but if you want to see our progress and atcual route go toBike tour map and click next

7/27/11

DIY Front Panniers - Update, Long ride this weekend

So after Building and riding with the first bag I had a couple of changes I wanted to make.

Firstly and very simply, was to add a handle so it could easily be carried off the bike.  For this a short pice of webbing was added in between the top bolts. 

Second was to add a draw string so the top could be pulled in.  

This was done by rolling the end of the fabric to make a channel and sewing along the  bottom edge of it.

 This also made the initial pattern more simple, the first time there was a complicated lid flap. 
I will need to add a lid if I want it to be water tight.

So far with one bag of each style it works out for what I have been carrying.  They do work nice when I balance the load.  the only issue is the webbing wanting to slide out of place.  The next step will be to sew it on at least at the bottom.   

Currently the rear bags are being redesigned more like the front bags.  I still pan to have them frame less but they will now be separate and have drawstring tops. 
The wine bag hydration bladder is also under way,  but because of the blag bloating out and becoming to wide, it may be more difficult then first thought.  Either a smaller bag will need to be used or a coffee box bag?  I need to stop by either Starbucks or dunkin donuts and see if they will give me one. 
I do need to get these done in prep for the ride this weekend. 

Ride:
On another note I will be driving home and riding back to Penn State with only what fits on my bike this weekend.  It is 150 miles so I am not sure yet if I will just do it in one day or camp a night.   It will be a good first test of my ability to find a place to camp if it is needed.   As for camping I will just use a tarp as a tent and for food I will hopefully be getting a Wisperlight International stove to carry as well.

Home to PSU





EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Pennsylvania
This route misses most of the big nasty hills that I would hit going other ways.   

4 comments:

  1. What about those drink mix bags? I've seen them in stores out here. They might be too small though. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite sure I know what you are talking about. Any bag really needs some sort of screw off lid a ziplock type seal wont work. The wine bags can be modified to do so see 1/2 down this page

    ReplyDelete
  3. kinda like this? http://www.amazon.com/Lt-Blenders-Colada-12-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B001E5E0GK maybe i'll have to go get some & drink them so i can send you the bag ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe. a little small though considering I will want to carry at least 100oz.

    ReplyDelete