Route map


Sorry the map is not updating but if you want to see our progress and atcual route go toBike tour map and click next

4/14/12

Austin to Austin

Carol set us up with food to cook for breakfast and direction out (she had to leave real early in the morning).  Once we hit the road Charlie noticed so.ething wrong with his bike.  The spokes had all loosened, which I expected because of how it was laced (just not this fast), so I spent a half hour trueing and properly tensioning his wheel.  After all that we were still on the road around 9 and we had a beautiful overcast day.  We ended up stopping at a burger joint and saw some other cyclist pass by with a support and a camera vehicle, talk about money and the easylife.   As we got closer to Austin I saw a sign saying 24 miles and I told Charlie if there was a 23 we had to stop. There was and now I have a dating profile pic, Haha.  We had been seeing old cars all day and when we got into Austin we found out why, there is a car weekend thing and all of congress ave. is pretty much taken over.  We found a spot whither a table outside and beer and Charlie sat down while I went for a cruise threw downtown.  I got backand  we sat there untill later when we could meet up with Phil.  I think our bikes drew as much attention as the cars and we talked to at least a dozen people.  We met up with Phil and he ran us back to his place which is awesome, hot tub on the roof, and he hooked us up and pretty much gave us free reign.  Charlie stayed in and I when for a long walk down 6th street. The primary section is all of your dance club/bands, crowded bars.  As you keep going west they get more chill and eventually they become straight hipster.  I stopped at 4 places and had a local brew at each.  The one place reminded me of the art dance parties at Alfred, it was crazy.  I probably walked 6 miles or more last night after we did 74 miles plus my 6 mile downtown stroll.  Austin is a nice city and is very bike friendly.  We are still working on what we are doing today.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm in the same city you are! I'm taking a rest-and-regrouping day (had my bike stolen two days ago and the ziptied panniers were nabbed along with it. Let this be a lesson to always lock it up overight-- I was in the wrong to not be doing that.) So now I gotta re-buy front panniers.

    Anyways, I think I gave you a card. Feel free to call if you want to hang out and browse the billion or so local bike shops they have around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! So when do you sleep? :) Following you and Uncle Charlie every day!

    ReplyDelete