Route map


Sorry the map is not updating but if you want to see our progress and atcual route go toBike tour map and click next

7/19/11

DIY Panniers (touring bags) Rear

I have found multiple other people online who have done this and seem to be happy with the results, and if you know me you wouldn't expect anything less (you may be surprised I didn't build my own bike, trust me I thought about it).

I really like Ken Kifer's concept and weight distribution ideas, so I kinda based mine off of his.  I started the bags by coming up with a design that I drew up(not great sketches so I will spare you a pic.), then just winged it from there.  I bought some cheap nylon to make a prototype set that I can use for a while and figure out the issues before I buy the good, expensive material. 

So some of you may want to hit me for this, but I didn't use any sort of template or anything I just measured, marked with electrical tape, and cut.  Yes, I really used electrical tape to mark things, I didn't have anything better at the time.
Here is a picture of the rear bags all cut out. 

I then started sewing it all together, by hand.  It took a little while but here is what I ended up with.
The bags are just packet with clothing and other random things I had around just shoved in there, so they are not packed well or properly.


 As you can see here there is stress on the bags.  I think putting a closure on the tops that can be tightened down may resolve this.  Also the bag on the right is built out so that it should not hit the derailleur, but currently because of the sag it is touching it.

I do need to finish sewing the edge of the tops, to keep them from fraying, but I decided I was done for tonight. 
As stated above, I will need to add a closure of some sort and maybe straps to pull the bags up from the outside.  Some sort of straps will be needed to keep it on the bike as well.  I will be getting the materials for that this weekend.
At this point I am going to leave it frame-less, but I feel it will need a frame at least to hold shape in the back.  I have a concept for a "soft" frame that I will probably try(I will explain this when I get to adding it).

Front bags will be started shortly as well as a DIY Hydration pack that uses a wine bag as the bladder.

No comments:

Post a Comment